Red Potato Colcannon
From EatingWell: March/April 2007
There are countless variations on this classic Irish potato-and-cabbage combination—ours is made with steamed red potatoes, sauteed cabbage and just a touch of butter.
- 1 pound small red potatoes, scrubbed and cut in half
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup onion, thinly sliced
- 6 cups green cabbage, thinly sliced (about 1/2 head)
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- Bring 1 inch of water to a boil in a Dutch oven. Place potatoes in a steamer basket and steam, covered, until just cooked through, about 15 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and cover to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, heat butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook until translucent, about 2 minutes. Add cabbage and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the cabbage begins to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low. Stir in milk, salt and white pepper; cover and cook until the cabbage is tender, about 8 minutes. Add the cabbage mixture to the potatoes. Mash with a potato masher or a large fork to desired consistency.
Per serving: 182 calories; 4 g fat (2 g sat, 0 g mono); 11 mg cholesterol; 31 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 5 g fiber; 653 mg sodium; 842 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (150% daily value), Potassium (24% dv), Fiber (20% dv), Calcium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 vegetable, 1/2 low-fat milk
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- March/April 2007