Red Potato Colcannon
From EatingWell: March/April 2007
There are countless variations on this classic Irish potato-and-cabbage combination—ours is made with steamed red potatoes, sauteed cabbage and just a touch of butter.
- 1 pound small red potatoes, scrubbed and cut in half
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup onion, thinly sliced
- 6 cups green cabbage, thinly sliced (about 1/2 head)
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- Bring 1 inch of water to a boil in a Dutch oven. Place potatoes in a steamer basket and steam, covered, until just cooked through, about 15 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and cover to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, heat butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook until translucent, about 2 minutes. Add cabbage and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the cabbage begins to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low. Stir in milk, salt and white pepper; cover and cook until the cabbage is tender, about 8 minutes. Add the cabbage mixture to the potatoes. Mash with a potato masher or a large fork to desired consistency.
Per serving: 182 calories; 4 g fat (2 g sat, 0 g mono); 11 mg cholesterol; 31 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 5 g fiber; 653 mg sodium; 842 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (150% daily value), Potassium (24% dv), Fiber (20% dv), Calcium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 vegetable, 1/2 low-fat milk
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- March/April 2007
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)