Paprika & Red Pepper Soup with Pistachio Puree
From EatingWell: November/December 2010
Richly satisfying, this luscious-looking soup made with red bell peppers gets a touch of heat from Thai chile. For an extra-nutty flavor, puree an additional 1/4 cup shelled pistachios with 1/4 cup water and serve the soup with a dollop of this pistachio puree on top.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 large red bell peppers, halved lengthwise, stemmed, seeded and diced
- 1-2 fresh green Thai or serrano chiles, stemmed and coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons sweet Hungarian paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 cup unsalted shelled pistachios
- 2 cups vegetable broth or water
- 1 cup nonfat buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons whipping cream
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro or basil
- Heat oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion, bell peppers and chile to taste. Cook, stirring, until the vegetables release some of their juices and the onion is lightly brown around the edges, 3 to 5 minutes. Sprinkle the vegetables with paprika, salt and cardamom and cook, stirring, until the spices are very fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add pistachios and broth (or water). Stir and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, until the peppers are fork-tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from the heat; let cool 5 minutes.
- Transfer the soup to a blender (in batches if necessary) and puree until smooth. (Use caution when pureeing hot liquids.) Return the soup to the pan.
- Whisk buttermilk and cream in a bowl; stir into the soup. Gently warm over low heat. Serve sprinkled with cilantro (or basil).
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 246 calories; 17 g fat (3 g sat, 9 g mono); 9 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 5 g fiber; 574 mg sodium; 419 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (180% daily value), Vitamin A (76% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- November/December 2010