Paprika & Red Pepper Soup with Pistachio Puree
From EatingWell: November/December 2010
Richly satisfying, this luscious-looking soup made with red bell peppers gets a touch of heat from Thai chile. For an extra-nutty flavor, puree an additional 1/4 cup shelled pistachios with 1/4 cup water and serve the soup with a dollop of this pistachio puree on top.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 large red bell peppers, halved lengthwise, stemmed, seeded and diced
- 1-2 fresh green Thai or serrano chiles, stemmed and coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons sweet Hungarian paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 cup unsalted shelled pistachios
- 2 cups vegetable broth or water
- 1 cup nonfat buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons whipping cream
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro or basil
- Heat oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion, bell peppers and chile to taste. Cook, stirring, until the vegetables release some of their juices and the onion is lightly brown around the edges, 3 to 5 minutes. Sprinkle the vegetables with paprika, salt and cardamom and cook, stirring, until the spices are very fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add pistachios and broth (or water). Stir and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, until the peppers are fork-tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from the heat; let cool 5 minutes.
- Transfer the soup to a blender (in batches if necessary) and puree until smooth. (Use caution when pureeing hot liquids.) Return the soup to the pan.
- Whisk buttermilk and cream in a bowl; stir into the soup. Gently warm over low heat. Serve sprinkled with cilantro (or basil).
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 246 calories; 17 g fat (3 g sat, 9 g mono); 9 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 5 g fiber; 574 mg sodium; 419 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (180% daily value), Vitamin A (76% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 2010