Paprika & Red Pepper Soup with Pistachio Puree
From EatingWell: November/December 2010
Richly satisfying, this luscious-looking soup made with red bell peppers gets a touch of heat from Thai chile. For an extra-nutty flavor, puree an additional 1/4 cup shelled pistachios with 1/4 cup water and serve the soup with a dollop of this pistachio puree on top.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 large red bell peppers, halved lengthwise, stemmed, seeded and diced
- 1-2 fresh green Thai or serrano chiles, stemmed and coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons sweet Hungarian paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 cup unsalted shelled pistachios
- 2 cups vegetable broth or water
- 1 cup nonfat buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons whipping cream
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro or basil
- Heat oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion, bell peppers and chile to taste. Cook, stirring, until the vegetables release some of their juices and the onion is lightly brown around the edges, 3 to 5 minutes. Sprinkle the vegetables with paprika, salt and cardamom and cook, stirring, until the spices are very fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add pistachios and broth (or water). Stir and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, until the peppers are fork-tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from the heat; let cool 5 minutes.
- Transfer the soup to a blender (in batches if necessary) and puree until smooth. (Use caution when pureeing hot liquids.) Return the soup to the pan.
- Whisk buttermilk and cream in a bowl; stir into the soup. Gently warm over low heat. Serve sprinkled with cilantro (or basil).
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 246 calories; 17 g fat (3 g sat, 9 g mono); 9 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 5 g fiber; 574 mg sodium; 419 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (180% daily value), Vitamin A (76% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 2010