Red Lentil Soup with a Spicy Sizzle
This Turkish soup features a delicious, healthful combination of lentils and whole-grain bulgur. A drizzle of sizzling spiced olive oil gives the soup a final flourish.
- 6 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 onions, chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 8 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups red lentils, rinsed (see Tip)
- 1/3 cup bulgur
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a soup pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring, until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add garlic and cumin; cook for 1 minute. Add broth, lentils, bulgur, tomato paste and bay leaf; bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Cover and cook over low heat until the lentils and bulgur are very tender, 25 to 30 minutes. Discard the bay leaf.
- Ladle about 4 cups of the soup into a food processor and puree. Return the pureed soup to the soup pot and heat through. Stir in lemon juice and season with pepper.
- Just before serving, ladle the soup into bowls. Heat the remaining 4 teaspoons oil in a small skillet and stir in paprika and cayenne. Drizzle about 1/2 teaspoon of the sizzling spice mixture over each bowlful and serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 2. Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 2 months.
- Tip: You can replace red lentils with brown lentils; add 1/2 cup water and simmer 40 to 45 minutes.
Per serving: 218 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 31 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 15 g protein; 7 g fiber; 151 mg sodium; 406 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Fiber (29% daily value), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Middle Eastern
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique