Red Lentil Soup with a Spicy Sizzle
This Turkish soup features a delicious, healthful combination of lentils and whole-grain bulgur. A drizzle of sizzling spiced olive oil gives the soup a final flourish.
- 6 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 onions, chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 8 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups red lentils, rinsed (see Tip)
- 1/3 cup bulgur
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a soup pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring, until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add garlic and cumin; cook for 1 minute. Add broth, lentils, bulgur, tomato paste and bay leaf; bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Cover and cook over low heat until the lentils and bulgur are very tender, 25 to 30 minutes. Discard the bay leaf.
- Ladle about 4 cups of the soup into a food processor and puree. Return the pureed soup to the soup pot and heat through. Stir in lemon juice and season with pepper.
- Just before serving, ladle the soup into bowls. Heat the remaining 4 teaspoons oil in a small skillet and stir in paprika and cayenne. Drizzle about 1/2 teaspoon of the sizzling spice mixture over each bowlful and serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 2. Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 2 months.
- Tip: You can replace red lentils with brown lentils; add 1/2 cup water and simmer 40 to 45 minutes.
Per serving: 218 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 31 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 15 g protein; 7 g fiber; 151 mg sodium; 406 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Fiber (29% daily value), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Middle Eastern
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique