Red Lentil Soup with a Spicy Sizzle
This Turkish soup features a delicious, healthful combination of lentils and whole-grain bulgur. A drizzle of sizzling spiced olive oil gives the soup a final flourish.
- 6 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 onions, chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 8 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups red lentils, rinsed (see Tip)
- 1/3 cup bulgur
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a soup pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring, until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add garlic and cumin; cook for 1 minute. Add broth, lentils, bulgur, tomato paste and bay leaf; bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Cover and cook over low heat until the lentils and bulgur are very tender, 25 to 30 minutes. Discard the bay leaf.
- Ladle about 4 cups of the soup into a food processor and puree. Return the pureed soup to the soup pot and heat through. Stir in lemon juice and season with pepper.
- Just before serving, ladle the soup into bowls. Heat the remaining 4 teaspoons oil in a small skillet and stir in paprika and cayenne. Drizzle about 1/2 teaspoon of the sizzling spice mixture over each bowlful and serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 2. Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 2 months.
- Tip: You can replace red lentils with brown lentils; add 1/2 cup water and simmer 40 to 45 minutes.
Per serving: 218 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 31 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 15 g protein; 7 g fiber; 151 mg sodium; 406 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Fiber (29% daily value), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Ease of Preparation
- Middle Eastern
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique