Red-Hot Sesame Dressing
Fiery chile-garlic sauce, nutty sesame seeds, soy sauce and brown sugar meet in this Asian-inspired dressing to add a salty-sweet punch to rice and noodle salads.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 1/3 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1/2-1 teaspoon chile-garlic sauce, (see Ingredient Note)
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions
- Heat a small dry skillet over low heat. Add sesame seeds and stir constantly until golden and fragrant, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl and let cool.
- Whisk soy sauce, vinegar, oil, garlic, sugar and chile-garlic sauce in another small bowl until the sugar dissolves. Stir in scallions and the sesame seeds.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 week.
- Ingredient Note: Chile-garlic sauce: A blend of ground chiles, garlic and vinegar, it's commonly used to add heat and flavor to Asian soups, sauces and stir-fries. It can be found in the Asian section of large supermarkets (sometimes labeled as chili-garlic sauce or paste) and keeps up to 1 year in the refrigerator.
Per tablespoon: 22 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 238 mg sodium; 21 mg potassium.
Exchanges: Free Food
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Type of Dish
- Salad dressing
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique