Red-Hot Sesame Dressing
Fiery chile-garlic sauce, nutty sesame seeds, soy sauce and brown sugar meet in this Asian-inspired dressing to add a salty-sweet punch to rice and noodle salads.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 1/3 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1/2-1 teaspoon chile-garlic sauce, (see Ingredient Note)
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions
- Heat a small dry skillet over low heat. Add sesame seeds and stir constantly until golden and fragrant, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl and let cool.
- Whisk soy sauce, vinegar, oil, garlic, sugar and chile-garlic sauce in another small bowl until the sugar dissolves. Stir in scallions and the sesame seeds.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 week.
- Ingredient Note: Chile-garlic sauce: A blend of ground chiles, garlic and vinegar, it's commonly used to add heat and flavor to Asian soups, sauces and stir-fries. It can be found in the Asian section of large supermarkets (sometimes labeled as chili-garlic sauce or paste) and keeps up to 1 year in the refrigerator.
Per tablespoon: 22 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 238 mg sodium; 21 mg potassium.
Exchanges: Free Food
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Type of Dish
- Salad dressing
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique