Red-Hot Sesame Dressing
Fiery chile-garlic sauce, nutty sesame seeds, soy sauce and brown sugar meet in this Asian-inspired dressing to add a salty-sweet punch to rice and noodle salads.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 1/3 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1/2-1 teaspoon chile-garlic sauce, (see Ingredient Note)
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions
- Heat a small dry skillet over low heat. Add sesame seeds and stir constantly until golden and fragrant, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl and let cool.
- Whisk soy sauce, vinegar, oil, garlic, sugar and chile-garlic sauce in another small bowl until the sugar dissolves. Stir in scallions and the sesame seeds.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 week.
- Ingredient Note: Chile-garlic sauce: A blend of ground chiles, garlic and vinegar, it's commonly used to add heat and flavor to Asian soups, sauces and stir-fries. It can be found in the Asian section of large supermarkets (sometimes labeled as chili-garlic sauce or paste) and keeps up to 1 year in the refrigerator.
Per tablespoon: 22 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 238 mg sodium; 21 mg potassium.
Exchanges: Free Food
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Salad dressing
- Ease of Preparation