Red-Hot Sesame Dressing
Fiery chile-garlic sauce, nutty sesame seeds, soy sauce and brown sugar meet in this Asian-inspired dressing to add a salty-sweet punch to rice and noodle salads.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 1/3 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1/2-1 teaspoon chile-garlic sauce, (see Ingredient Note)
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions
- Heat a small dry skillet over low heat. Add sesame seeds and stir constantly until golden and fragrant, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl and let cool.
- Whisk soy sauce, vinegar, oil, garlic, sugar and chile-garlic sauce in another small bowl until the sugar dissolves. Stir in scallions and the sesame seeds.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 week.
- Ingredient Note: Chile-garlic sauce: A blend of ground chiles, garlic and vinegar, it's commonly used to add heat and flavor to Asian soups, sauces and stir-fries. It can be found in the Asian section of large supermarkets (sometimes labeled as chili-garlic sauce or paste) and keeps up to 1 year in the refrigerator.
Per tablespoon: 22 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 238 mg sodium; 21 mg potassium.
Exchanges: Free Food
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Type of Dish
- Salad dressing
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique