Red Curry Clams
From EatingWell: May/June 2011
This simple recipe of clams cooked in a spicy Thai red curry sauce takes advantage of prepared Thai curry paste, which is available at well-stocked supermarkets and Asian-foods stores. We call for red curry paste but use whatever type you prefer. This recipe also works with about 4 pounds of mussels. Serve with crusty bread to soak up any leftover sauce.
- 5 pounds littleneck, manila or other small clams
- 1 14-ounce can “lite” coconut milk
- 1/3 cup lime juice, plus lime wedges for serving
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Thai red curry paste, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce (see Note)
- 2 cups coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- Wash clams thoroughly to remove any grit.
- Bring coconut milk, lime juice, wine, brown sugar, curry paste, garlic and fish sauce to a boil in a Dutch oven or other large pot, stirring occasionally. Add the clams, tossing to combine. Cover, reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, until the clams are open, 7 to 10 minutes. (Discard any unopened clams.)
- Stir in cilantro. Taste the broth and adjust the flavors to your taste. Serve in deep bowls with lime wedges for squeezing.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Fish sauce is a pungent Southeast Asian condiment made from salted, fermented fish. Find it in the Asian-food section of well-stocked supermarkets and at Asian specialty markets. We use Thai Kitchen fish sauce, lower in sodium than other brands (1,190 mg per tablespoon), in our recipe testing and nutritional analyses.
Per serving: 266 calories; 8 g fat (5 g sat, 0 g mono); 57 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 7 g added sugars; 24 g protein; 0 g fiber; 526 mg sodium; 631 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Iron (133% daily value), Vitamin C (47% dv), Vitamin A (21% dv), Potassium (18% dv), Zinc (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 carbohydrate (other), 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- New Year's Eve
- May/June 2011