Red Chile Sauce
From EatingWell: January/February 1997
This sauce is a great condiment for Mexican food.
- 3 ounces large red dried chiles, such as pasillas, anchos or Anaheims
- 1 cup reduced-sodium beef broth, divided
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, preferably Mexican
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons sugar, plus more to taste
- Salt, to taste
- Wash chiles, pat dry and tear into long strips. Discard stems and seeds. Heat a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Toast chiles, turning once or twice, for 2 to 4 minutes.
- Transfer chiles to a bowl. Add simmering water to cover and set aside until chiles have softened, about 20 minutes. Drain. Place softened chiles, 1/2 cup broth, 1/2 cup water, garlic and oregano in a blender; blend until very smooth. (If the mixture is too thick, add just enough water to give a smooth consistency.)
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the chile puree and sugar; reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring constantly, until sauce has darkened and thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Remove sauce from heat and add the remaining 1/2 cup broth. Strain sauce through a fine sieve, pushing puree through sieve with a wooden spoon. Adjust seasonings with salt and more sugar if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for 1 week.
Per tablespoon: 16 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 56 mg sodium; 87 mg potassium.
Exchanges: Free Food
More From EatingWell
Our healthy sandwich recipes, salad recipes and dip recipes...
If you’re trying to slim down, try adding foods to your diet...
There’s no “magic bullet” for preventing high blood pressure...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
If you’re feeling blue—or want to ward off feeling that way—...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
When you’re trying to slim down, a high-fiber, low-calorie...
Research shows that a compound in chiles, called capsaicin,...
You can still enjoy the delicious summertime flavor of...
Skip the frozen veggie burgers and make your own vegetarian...
Healthy pasta dishes are at the heart of Italian cuisine....
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Make a delicious Easter brunch or dinner this year with our...
Berries and other spring fruit star in our healthy Easter...
If you’re entertaining this Easter or bringing a dish to...
Make your Passover meal light and healthful with some of our...
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Cinco de Mayo
- January/February 1997