Raw Kale Salad with Roasted Garlic Dressing
From EatingWell: July/August 2013
Using a whole head of sweet roasted garlic creates an irresistible garlic salad dressing that gets “massaged” into raw leaves of kale to create this kale salad recipe. To save time, roast the garlic ahead. This kale salad is great with pizza or as a light side salad.
- 1 head garlic
- 2 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 8 kale leaves, chopped (about 1 small bunch)
- Position a rack in the upper third of oven; preheat to 500°F.
- Rub off excess papery skin from garlic head without separating the cloves. Slice the tip off the head, exposing the cloves. Place the head on a piece of foil, drizzle with 1/2 tablespoon oil and wrap into a package. Place the package on the upper rack and roast until the garlic is very soft, 40 to 50 minutes. (It’s OK if the garlic starts roasting as the oven preheats.)
- Meanwhile, toss onion in a bowl with 1 tablespoon oil and salt. Spread on a large baking sheet. Place on the upper rack and roast, stirring once halfway through, until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Let the garlic and onion cool for 5 minutes.
- Gently squeeze cloves from garlic head into a large bowl (discard skins). Whisk in soy sauce, lemon juice and the remaining 1 tablespoon oil until combined. Add kale and, with clean hands, firmly squeeze the ingredients together until the leaves break down and the volume has been reduced by about half. Add onion and toss to coat.
Per serving: 123 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 7 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 2 g fiber; 162 mg sodium; 344 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (165% daily value), Vitamin C (12% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 1/2 Vegetable, 1 1/2 Fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 2013