Raw Kale Salad with Roasted Garlic Dressing
From EatingWell: July/August 2013
Using a whole head of sweet roasted garlic creates an irresistible garlic salad dressing that gets “massaged” into raw leaves of kale to create this kale salad recipe. To save time, roast the garlic ahead. This kale salad is great with pizza or as a light side salad.
- 1 head garlic
- 2 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 8 kale leaves, chopped (about 1 small bunch)
- Position a rack in the upper third of oven; preheat to 500°F.
- Rub off excess papery skin from garlic head without separating the cloves. Slice the tip off the head, exposing the cloves. Place the head on a piece of foil, drizzle with 1/2 tablespoon oil and wrap into a package. Place the package on the upper rack and roast until the garlic is very soft, 40 to 50 minutes. (It’s OK if the garlic starts roasting as the oven preheats.)
- Meanwhile, toss onion in a bowl with 1 tablespoon oil and salt. Spread on a large baking sheet. Place on the upper rack and roast, stirring once halfway through, until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Let the garlic and onion cool for 5 minutes.
- Gently squeeze cloves from garlic head into a large bowl (discard skins). Whisk in soy sauce, lemon juice and the remaining 1 tablespoon oil until combined. Add kale and, with clean hands, firmly squeeze the ingredients together until the leaves break down and the volume has been reduced by about half. Add onion and toss to coat.
Per serving: 123 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 7 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 2 g fiber; 162 mg sodium; 344 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (165% daily value), Vitamin C (12% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 1/2 Vegetable, 1 1/2 Fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- July/August 2013