Raw Kale Salad with Roasted Garlic Dressing
From EatingWell: July/August 2013
Using a whole head of sweet roasted garlic creates an irresistible garlic salad dressing that gets “massaged” into raw leaves of kale to create this kale salad recipe. To save time, roast the garlic ahead. This kale salad is great with pizza or as a light side salad.
- 1 head garlic
- 2 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 8 kale leaves, chopped (about 1 small bunch)
- Position a rack in the upper third of oven; preheat to 500°F.
- Rub off excess papery skin from garlic head without separating the cloves. Slice the tip off the head, exposing the cloves. Place the head on a piece of foil, drizzle with 1/2 tablespoon oil and wrap into a package. Place the package on the upper rack and roast until the garlic is very soft, 40 to 50 minutes. (It’s OK if the garlic starts roasting as the oven preheats.)
- Meanwhile, toss onion in a bowl with 1 tablespoon oil and salt. Spread on a large baking sheet. Place on the upper rack and roast, stirring once halfway through, until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Let the garlic and onion cool for 5 minutes.
- Gently squeeze cloves from garlic head into a large bowl (discard skins). Whisk in soy sauce, lemon juice and the remaining 1 tablespoon oil until combined. Add kale and, with clean hands, firmly squeeze the ingredients together until the leaves break down and the volume has been reduced by about half. Add onion and toss to coat.
Per serving: 123 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 7 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 2 g fiber; 162 mg sodium; 344 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (165% daily value), Vitamin C (12% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 1/2 Vegetable, 1 1/2 Fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 2013