Raw Kale Salad with Roasted Garlic Dressing
From EatingWell: July/August 2013
Using a whole head of sweet roasted garlic creates an irresistible garlic salad dressing that gets “massaged” into raw leaves of kale to create this kale salad recipe. To save time, roast the garlic ahead. This kale salad is great with pizza or as a light side salad.
- 1 head garlic
- 2 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 8 kale leaves, chopped (about 1 small bunch)
- Position a rack in the upper third of oven; preheat to 500°F.
- Rub off excess papery skin from garlic head without separating the cloves. Slice the tip off the head, exposing the cloves. Place the head on a piece of foil, drizzle with 1/2 tablespoon oil and wrap into a package. Place the package on the upper rack and roast until the garlic is very soft, 40 to 50 minutes. (It’s OK if the garlic starts roasting as the oven preheats.)
- Meanwhile, toss onion in a bowl with 1 tablespoon oil and salt. Spread on a large baking sheet. Place on the upper rack and roast, stirring once halfway through, until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Let the garlic and onion cool for 5 minutes.
- Gently squeeze cloves from garlic head into a large bowl (discard skins). Whisk in soy sauce, lemon juice and the remaining 1 tablespoon oil until combined. Add kale and, with clean hands, firmly squeeze the ingredients together until the leaves break down and the volume has been reduced by about half. Add onion and toss to coat.
Per serving: 123 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 7 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 2 g fiber; 162 mg sodium; 344 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (165% daily value), Vitamin C (12% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 1/2 Vegetable, 1 1/2 Fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 2013