Raw Kale Salad with Roasted Garlic Dressing
From EatingWell: July/August 2013
Using a whole head of sweet roasted garlic creates an irresistible garlic salad dressing that gets “massaged” into raw leaves of kale to create this kale salad recipe. To save time, roast the garlic ahead. This kale salad is great with pizza or as a light side salad.
- 1 head garlic
- 2 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 8 kale leaves, chopped (about 1 small bunch)
- Position a rack in the upper third of oven; preheat to 500°F.
- Rub off excess papery skin from garlic head without separating the cloves. Slice the tip off the head, exposing the cloves. Place the head on a piece of foil, drizzle with 1/2 tablespoon oil and wrap into a package. Place the package on the upper rack and roast until the garlic is very soft, 40 to 50 minutes. (It’s OK if the garlic starts roasting as the oven preheats.)
- Meanwhile, toss onion in a bowl with 1 tablespoon oil and salt. Spread on a large baking sheet. Place on the upper rack and roast, stirring once halfway through, until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Let the garlic and onion cool for 5 minutes.
- Gently squeeze cloves from garlic head into a large bowl (discard skins). Whisk in soy sauce, lemon juice and the remaining 1 tablespoon oil until combined. Add kale and, with clean hands, firmly squeeze the ingredients together until the leaves break down and the volume has been reduced by about half. Add onion and toss to coat.
Per serving: 123 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 7 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 2 g fiber; 162 mg sodium; 344 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (165% daily value), Vitamin C (12% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 1/2 Vegetable, 1 1/2 Fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 2013