Ravioli with Arugula & Pecorino
From EatingWell: September/October 2010
Elevate frozen ravioli with sizzled garlic and shallots, shaved pecorino and fresh arugula. Serve with: Whole-grain baguette and a light-bodied red wine, such as pinot noir.
- 1 pound fresh or frozen cheese ravioli, preferably whole-wheat
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large shallots, sliced
- 3 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 6 cups arugula
- 1/2 cup shaved Pecorino Romano or Parmesan cheese (see Tip)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook ravioli until tender, 7 to 9 minutes or according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, mash garlic and salt into a paste with the side of a chef’s knife or back of a spoon. Heat oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic paste and shallots and cook, stirring often, until just starting to brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in vinegar, mustard and pepper; remove from the heat.
- Drain the ravioli well. Place in a large bowl and toss with arugula and the dressing. Serve sprinkled with cheese.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Use a vegetable peeler to shave curls off a block of hard cheese.
Per serving: 413 calories; 24 g fat (8 g sat, 11 g mono); 57 mg cholesterol; 34 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 16 g protein; 2 g fiber; 585 mg sodium; 156 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (25% daily value), Vitamin A (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 medium-fat meat, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- September/October 2010