Ravioli with Arugula & Pecorino
From EatingWell: September/October 2010
Elevate frozen ravioli with sizzled garlic and shallots, shaved pecorino and fresh arugula. Serve with: Whole-grain baguette and a light-bodied red wine, such as pinot noir.
- 1 pound fresh or frozen cheese ravioli, preferably whole-wheat
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large shallots, sliced
- 3 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 6 cups arugula
- 1/2 cup shaved Pecorino Romano or Parmesan cheese (see Tip)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook ravioli until tender, 7 to 9 minutes or according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, mash garlic and salt into a paste with the side of a chef’s knife or back of a spoon. Heat oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic paste and shallots and cook, stirring often, until just starting to brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in vinegar, mustard and pepper; remove from the heat.
- Drain the ravioli well. Place in a large bowl and toss with arugula and the dressing. Serve sprinkled with cheese.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Use a vegetable peeler to shave curls off a block of hard cheese.
Per serving: 413 calories; 24 g fat (8 g sat, 11 g mono); 57 mg cholesterol; 34 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 16 g protein; 2 g fiber; 585 mg sodium; 156 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (25% daily value), Vitamin A (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 medium-fat meat, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- September/October 2010