Ravioli with Arugula & Pecorino
From EatingWell: September/October 2010
Elevate frozen ravioli with sizzled garlic and shallots, shaved pecorino and fresh arugula. Serve with: Whole-grain baguette and a light-bodied red wine, such as pinot noir.
- 1 pound fresh or frozen cheese ravioli, preferably whole-wheat
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large shallots, sliced
- 3 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 6 cups arugula
- 1/2 cup shaved Pecorino Romano or Parmesan cheese (see Tip)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook ravioli until tender, 7 to 9 minutes or according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, mash garlic and salt into a paste with the side of a chef’s knife or back of a spoon. Heat oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic paste and shallots and cook, stirring often, until just starting to brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in vinegar, mustard and pepper; remove from the heat.
- Drain the ravioli well. Place in a large bowl and toss with arugula and the dressing. Serve sprinkled with cheese.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Use a vegetable peeler to shave curls off a block of hard cheese.
Per serving: 413 calories; 24 g fat (8 g sat, 11 g mono); 57 mg cholesterol; 34 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 16 g protein; 2 g fiber; 585 mg sodium; 156 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (25% daily value), Vitamin A (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 medium-fat meat, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 2010