Ravioli with Bell Pepper Sauce
Freezer staples—frozen bell peppers with onions and individually quick-frozen spinach—give a simple tomato-based pasta sauce complexity and a big boost of nutrients.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh rosemary, divided
- 1 16-ounce package frozen stir-fry vegetables, (bell peppers and onions)
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup individually quick-frozen spinach
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 24 ounces fresh or frozen cheese ravioli
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Put a large pot of lightly salted water on to boil for cooking ravioli.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and 1 teaspoon rosemary; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add stir-fry vegetables and tomatoes. Bring to a simmer. Cook until vegetables are tender, 5 to 10 minutes. Stir in spinach; cook until tender, about 2 minutes more. Add the remaining 1 teaspoon rosemary and season with pepper.
- Meanwhile, cook ravioli in the boiling water until they float, 5 to 7 minutes. Drain and transfer to a large bowl. Toss with the sauce. Serve with Parmesan. Substitution: In place of the frozen stir-fry mixture, use 1 onion and 2 bell peppers, sliced.
Per serving: 267 calories; 8 g fat (4 g sat, 1 g mono); 41 mg cholesterol; 30 g carbohydrates; 12 g protein; 3 g fiber; 332 mg sodium; 10 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (20% daily value), Vitamin C (20% dv), Calcium (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 11/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 high-fat meat, 1/2 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique