Ravioli with Bell Pepper Sauce
Freezer staples—frozen bell peppers with onions and individually quick-frozen spinach—give a simple tomato-based pasta sauce complexity and a big boost of nutrients.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh rosemary, divided
- 1 16-ounce package frozen stir-fry vegetables, (bell peppers and onions)
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup individually quick-frozen spinach
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 24 ounces fresh or frozen cheese ravioli
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Put a large pot of lightly salted water on to boil for cooking ravioli.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and 1 teaspoon rosemary; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add stir-fry vegetables and tomatoes. Bring to a simmer. Cook until vegetables are tender, 5 to 10 minutes. Stir in spinach; cook until tender, about 2 minutes more. Add the remaining 1 teaspoon rosemary and season with pepper.
- Meanwhile, cook ravioli in the boiling water until they float, 5 to 7 minutes. Drain and transfer to a large bowl. Toss with the sauce. Serve with Parmesan. Substitution: In place of the frozen stir-fry mixture, use 1 onion and 2 bell peppers, sliced.
Per serving: 267 calories; 8 g fat (4 g sat, 1 g mono); 41 mg cholesterol; 30 g carbohydrates; 12 g protein; 3 g fiber; 332 mg sodium; 10 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (20% daily value), Vitamin C (20% dv), Calcium (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 11/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 high-fat meat, 1/2 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Turnips are a root vegetable with purple-white skin and a...
A piping-hot bowl of soup makes a delicious dinner and an...
Instead of ordering takeout tonight, try an easy chicken stir...
Whether you’re eating chickpeas in a salad, pasta dish or...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
Vegetables are one of the healthiest foods you can eat,...
Our healthy low-carb desserts are delicious ways to end your...
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation