Ravioli & Vegetable Soup
From EatingWell: September/October 2009
Fresh or frozen ravioli cook in minutes and turn this light vegetable soup into a main course. Look for whole-wheat or whole-grain ravioli in the refrigerated or frozen section of the supermarket. Tortellini can be used instead of ravioli as well.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups frozen bell pepper and onion mix, thawed and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper, or to taste (optional)
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes, preferably fire-roasted
- 1 15-ounce can vegetable broth or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups hot water
- 1 teaspoon dried basil or marjoram
- 1 6- to 9-ounce package fresh or frozen cheese (or meat) ravioli, preferably whole-wheat
- 2 cups diced zucchini, (about 2 medium)
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add pepper-onion mix, garlic and crushed red pepper (if using) and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add tomatoes, broth, water and basil (or marjoram); bring to a rolling boil over high heat. Add ravioli and cook for 3 minutes less than the package directions. Add zucchini; return to a boil. Cook until the zucchini is crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Season with pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Thin with broth before reheating, if desired.
Per serving: 264 calories; 9 g fat (3 g sat, 3 g mono); 28 mg cholesterol; 38 g carbohydrates; 11 g protein; 8 g fiber; 763 mg sodium; 762 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (60% daily value), Vitamin A (40% dv), Iron (21% dv), Calcium (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 2009