Ravioli & Vegetable Soup
From EatingWell: September/October 2009
Fresh or frozen ravioli cook in minutes and turn this light vegetable soup into a main course. Look for whole-wheat or whole-grain ravioli in the refrigerated or frozen section of the supermarket. Tortellini can be used instead of ravioli as well.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups frozen bell pepper and onion mix, thawed and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper, or to taste (optional)
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes, preferably fire-roasted
- 1 15-ounce can vegetable broth or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups hot water
- 1 teaspoon dried basil or marjoram
- 1 6- to 9-ounce package fresh or frozen cheese (or meat) ravioli, preferably whole-wheat
- 2 cups diced zucchini, (about 2 medium)
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add pepper-onion mix, garlic and crushed red pepper (if using) and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add tomatoes, broth, water and basil (or marjoram); bring to a rolling boil over high heat. Add ravioli and cook for 3 minutes less than the package directions. Add zucchini; return to a boil. Cook until the zucchini is crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Season with pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Thin with broth before reheating, if desired.
Per serving: 264 calories; 9 g fat (3 g sat, 3 g mono); 28 mg cholesterol; 38 g carbohydrates; 11 g protein; 8 g fiber; 763 mg sodium; 762 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (60% daily value), Vitamin A (40% dv), Iron (21% dv), Calcium (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 2009