Ratatouille à la Casablancaise
From EatingWell: September/October 2008
Ratatouille—a cooked eggplant and tomato dish combined with other seasonal vegetables and olive oil—has many regional variations. This one is made with cinnamon, a signature spice in Moroccan cooking. Try it as an appetizer with bread or as a sandwich filling.
- 1 large eggplant, (1 1/4-1 1/2 pounds), peeled and cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow summer squash, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 3 medium tomatoes, peeled (see Tip), seeded and diced, or 1 cup drained canned diced tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Place eggplant on a baking sheet and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt; let stand for 30 minutes. Rinse and pat dry.
- Heat 3 tablespoons oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the eggplant, squash and bell pepper. Cook, stirring, until the vegetables are soft, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil to the pan. Add tomatoes, garlic, cinnamon, sugar, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until the tomatoes begin to break down, 3 to 5 minutes. Add to the bowl with the eggplant mixture and stir to combine. Cool to room temperature before serving, for the best flavor.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
- Tip: To peel tomatoes: Make a small X in the bottom of each tomato and plunge into boiling water until the skins are slightly loosened, 30 seconds to 2 minutes. Transfer to a bowl of ice water for 1 minute. Peel with a paring knife, starting at the X.
Per serving: 87 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 3 g fiber; 443 mg sodium; 342 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (50% daily value), Vitamin A (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- September/October 2008