Ratatouille à la Casablancaise
From EatingWell: September/October 2008
Ratatouille—a cooked eggplant and tomato dish combined with other seasonal vegetables and olive oil—has many regional variations. This one is made with cinnamon, a signature spice in Moroccan cooking. Try it as an appetizer with bread or as a sandwich filling.
- 1 large eggplant, (1 1/4-1 1/2 pounds), peeled and cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow summer squash, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 3 medium tomatoes, peeled (see Tip), seeded and diced, or 1 cup drained canned diced tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Place eggplant on a baking sheet and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt; let stand for 30 minutes. Rinse and pat dry.
- Heat 3 tablespoons oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the eggplant, squash and bell pepper. Cook, stirring, until the vegetables are soft, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil to the pan. Add tomatoes, garlic, cinnamon, sugar, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until the tomatoes begin to break down, 3 to 5 minutes. Add to the bowl with the eggplant mixture and stir to combine. Cool to room temperature before serving, for the best flavor.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
- Tip: To peel tomatoes: Make a small X in the bottom of each tomato and plunge into boiling water until the skins are slightly loosened, 30 seconds to 2 minutes. Transfer to a bowl of ice water for 1 minute. Peel with a paring knife, starting at the X.
Per serving: 87 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 3 g fiber; 443 mg sodium; 342 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (50% daily value), Vitamin A (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 2008