Bursting with fresh vegetables, this classic Provencal stew is wonderful with eggs, pasta or grilled fish.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 red and/or yellow bell peppers, seeded and diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fennel seeds, crushed
- 1 medium eggplant, diced
- 2 large zucchini, diced
- 6 medium ripe tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh thyme
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions and bell peppers; cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables begin to brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Add garlic and fennel seeds; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute more. Transfer the vegetables to a large bowl.
- Add 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to the pot. Add eggplant and cook, stirring frequently, until browned in places, 7 to 8 minutes. Transfer to the bowl with the vegetables.
- Add the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to the pot. Add zucchini and cook, stirring frequently, until browned in places, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, basil, thyme and the reserved vegetables and bring to a simmer. Cover the pot and transfer to the oven.
- Bake the ratatouille, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender, 35 to 45 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Serve hot or at room temperature. Garnish with parsley before serving.
Per serving: 88 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 5 g fiber; 29 mg sodium; 472 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (110% daily value), Vitamin A (45% dv), Fiber (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more