Bursting with fresh vegetables, this classic Provencal stew is wonderful with eggs, pasta or grilled fish.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 red and/or yellow bell peppers, seeded and diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fennel seeds, crushed
- 1 medium eggplant, diced
- 2 large zucchini, diced
- 6 medium ripe tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh thyme
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions and bell peppers; cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables begin to brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Add garlic and fennel seeds; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute more. Transfer the vegetables to a large bowl.
- Add 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to the pot. Add eggplant and cook, stirring frequently, until browned in places, 7 to 8 minutes. Transfer to the bowl with the vegetables.
- Add the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to the pot. Add zucchini and cook, stirring frequently, until browned in places, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, basil, thyme and the reserved vegetables and bring to a simmer. Cover the pot and transfer to the oven.
- Bake the ratatouille, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender, 35 to 45 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Serve hot or at room temperature. Garnish with parsley before serving.
Per serving: 88 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 5 g fiber; 29 mg sodium; 472 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (110% daily value), Vitamin A (45% dv), Fiber (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more