Bursting with fresh vegetables, this classic Provencal stew is wonderful with eggs, pasta or grilled fish.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 red and/or yellow bell peppers, seeded and diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fennel seeds, crushed
- 1 medium eggplant, diced
- 2 large zucchini, diced
- 6 medium ripe tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh thyme
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions and bell peppers; cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables begin to brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Add garlic and fennel seeds; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute more. Transfer the vegetables to a large bowl.
- Add 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to the pot. Add eggplant and cook, stirring frequently, until browned in places, 7 to 8 minutes. Transfer to the bowl with the vegetables.
- Add the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to the pot. Add zucchini and cook, stirring frequently, until browned in places, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, basil, thyme and the reserved vegetables and bring to a simmer. Cover the pot and transfer to the oven.
- Bake the ratatouille, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender, 35 to 45 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Serve hot or at room temperature. Garnish with parsley before serving.
Per serving: 88 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 5 g fiber; 29 mg sodium; 472 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (110% daily value), Vitamin A (45% dv), Fiber (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Ease of Preparation