From EatingWell: July/August 1993
A basic recipe that can be used for other berries as well. The amount of sugar syrup may need a little adjusting according to the sweetness of the fruit, but don't omit the lemon juice—it helps bring out the fullest fruit flavors.
- 3/4 cups water
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons crème de cassis
- 3 pints red raspberries
- Combine water and sugar in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Boil for 2 minutes, then remove from the heat. Stir in the lemon juice and crème de cassis. Transfer to a medium bowl and let cool completely.
- Puree the raspberries in a food processor, then strain through a fine-meshed sieve into the bowl containing the sugar syrup. Chill until cold, then process in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s directions. (Alternatively, freeze the mixture in a shallow metal cake pan or ice cube tray until almost solid. Break into chunks and process in a food processor.) Transfer the sorbet into a freezer container and freeze at least 1 hour.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The syrup (Step 1) can be made up to 3 days in advance and refrigerated. Freeze the sorbet for up to 1 day. Let soften slightly in the refrigerator for 15 to 20 minutes before serving.
Per serving: 230 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 57 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 6 g fiber; 3 mg sodium; 148 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (45% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 3 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- July/August 1993