From EatingWell: July/August 1993
A basic recipe that can be used for other berries as well. The amount of sugar syrup may need a little adjusting according to the sweetness of the fruit, but don't omit the lemon juice—it helps bring out the fullest fruit flavors.
- 3/4 cups water
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons crème de cassis
- 3 pints red raspberries
- Combine water and sugar in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Boil for 2 minutes, then remove from the heat. Stir in the lemon juice and crème de cassis. Transfer to a medium bowl and let cool completely.
- Puree the raspberries in a food processor, then strain through a fine-meshed sieve into the bowl containing the sugar syrup. Chill until cold, then process in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s directions. (Alternatively, freeze the mixture in a shallow metal cake pan or ice cube tray until almost solid. Break into chunks and process in a food processor.) Transfer the sorbet into a freezer container and freeze at least 1 hour.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The syrup (Step 1) can be made up to 3 days in advance and refrigerated. Freeze the sorbet for up to 1 day. Let soften slightly in the refrigerator for 15 to 20 minutes before serving.
Per serving: 230 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 57 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 6 g fiber; 3 mg sodium; 148 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (45% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 3 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Turnips are a root vegetable with purple-white skin and a...
A piping-hot bowl of soup makes a delicious dinner and an...
Instead of ordering takeout tonight, try an easy chicken stir...
Whether you’re eating chickpeas in a salad, pasta dish or...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
Vegetables are one of the healthiest foods you can eat,...
Our healthy low-carb desserts are delicious ways to end your...
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
- 8 or more
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- July/August 1993