From EatingWell: July/August 1993
A basic recipe that can be used for other berries as well. The amount of sugar syrup may need a little adjusting according to the sweetness of the fruit, but don't omit the lemon juice—it helps bring out the fullest fruit flavors.
- 3/4 cups water
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons crème de cassis
- 3 pints red raspberries
- Combine water and sugar in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Boil for 2 minutes, then remove from the heat. Stir in the lemon juice and crème de cassis. Transfer to a medium bowl and let cool completely.
- Puree the raspberries in a food processor, then strain through a fine-meshed sieve into the bowl containing the sugar syrup. Chill until cold, then process in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s directions. (Alternatively, freeze the mixture in a shallow metal cake pan or ice cube tray until almost solid. Break into chunks and process in a food processor.) Transfer the sorbet into a freezer container and freeze at least 1 hour.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The syrup (Step 1) can be made up to 3 days in advance and refrigerated. Freeze the sorbet for up to 1 day. Let soften slightly in the refrigerator for 15 to 20 minutes before serving.
Per serving: 230 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 57 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 6 g fiber; 3 mg sodium; 148 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (45% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 3 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- July/August 1993