From EatingWell: July/August 1993
A basic recipe that can be used for other berries as well. The amount of sugar syrup may need a little adjusting according to the sweetness of the fruit, but don't omit the lemon juice—it helps bring out the fullest fruit flavors.
- 3/4 cups water
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons crème de cassis
- 3 pints red raspberries
- Combine water and sugar in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Boil for 2 minutes, then remove from the heat. Stir in the lemon juice and crème de cassis. Transfer to a medium bowl and let cool completely.
- Puree the raspberries in a food processor, then strain through a fine-meshed sieve into the bowl containing the sugar syrup. Chill until cold, then process in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s directions. (Alternatively, freeze the mixture in a shallow metal cake pan or ice cube tray until almost solid. Break into chunks and process in a food processor.) Transfer the sorbet into a freezer container and freeze at least 1 hour.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The syrup (Step 1) can be made up to 3 days in advance and refrigerated. Freeze the sorbet for up to 1 day. Let soften slightly in the refrigerator for 15 to 20 minutes before serving.
Per serving: 230 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 57 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 6 g fiber; 3 mg sodium; 148 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (45% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 3 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- 8 or more
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- July/August 1993
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)