Raspberry Linzer Bars
From EatingWell: December 1997
The crust for these raspberry bars has plenty of spices and walnuts—the perfect foil for tangy-sweet raspberry preserves.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts, divided
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated orange zest
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3/4 cup seedless raspberry jam
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9-by-9-inch or 7-by-11 1/2-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Combine flour, sugar, 1/2 cup walnuts, cocoa, orange zest, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves in a food processor. Pulse until walnuts are finely chopped. Add egg, oil and water; process until moistened. Transfer to prepared pan. Press into an even layer. Bake crust until dry to the touch and barely golden, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Whisk jam and orange juice in a bowl. Spread evenly over the crust. Sprinkle with the remaining 2 tablespoons walnuts. Bake the bars until jam bubbles, 10 to 15 minutes longer. Transfer pan to a wire rack and cool completely before cutting into bars.
Per bar: 112 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 9 mg cholesterol; 20 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 46 mg sodium; 31 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- December 1997