Raspberry Linzer Bars
From EatingWell: December 1997
The crust for these raspberry bars has plenty of spices and walnuts—the perfect foil for tangy-sweet raspberry preserves.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts, divided
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated orange zest
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3/4 cup seedless raspberry jam
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9-by-9-inch or 7-by-11 1/2-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Combine flour, sugar, 1/2 cup walnuts, cocoa, orange zest, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves in a food processor. Pulse until walnuts are finely chopped. Add egg, oil and water; process until moistened. Transfer to prepared pan. Press into an even layer. Bake crust until dry to the touch and barely golden, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Whisk jam and orange juice in a bowl. Spread evenly over the crust. Sprinkle with the remaining 2 tablespoons walnuts. Bake the bars until jam bubbles, 10 to 15 minutes longer. Transfer pan to a wire rack and cool completely before cutting into bars.
Per bar: 112 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 9 mg cholesterol; 20 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 46 mg sodium; 31 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- December 1997
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)