Raspberry, Avocado & Mango Salad
From EatingWell: July/August 2007
Pureed berries give the tangy wine vinegar dressing a creamy texture that gently clings to the lettuce and fruit. This is a salad to enjoy when fresh berries are in the market.
- 1 1/2 cups fresh raspberries, divided
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup red-wine vinegar
- 1 small clove garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 8 cups mixed salad greens
- 1 ripe mango, diced (see Tip)
- 1 small ripe avocado, diced
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/4 cup toasted chopped hazelnuts, or sliced almonds (see Tip), optional
- Puree 1/2 cup raspberries, oil, vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper in a blender until combined.
- Combine greens, mango, avocado and onion in a large bowl. Pour the dressing on top and gently toss to coat. Divide the salad among 5 salad plates. Top each with the remaining raspberries and sprinkle with nuts, if using.
Tips & Notes
- Tips: To dice a mango:
- 1. Slice both ends off the mango, revealing the long, slender seed inside. Set the fruit upright on a work surface and remove the skin with a sharp knife.
- 2. With the seed perpendicular to you, slice the fruit from both sides of the seed, yielding two large pieces.
- 3. Turn the seed parallel to you and slice the two smaller pieces of fruit from each side.
- 4. Cut the fruit into the desired shape.
- To toast chopped or sliced nuts, heat a small dry skillet over medium-low heat. Add nuts and cook, stirring, until lightly browned and fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes.
Per serving: 229 calories; 16 g fat (2 g sat, 12 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 8 g fiber; 82 mg sodium; 613 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (70% daily value), Vitamin A (60% dv), Folate (36% dv), Potassium (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 2 vegetable, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 2007