Ras el Hanout
From EatingWell: September/October 2008
Ras el hanout is a special blend of spices used to flavor many North African and Middle Eastern dishes. The combination varies depending on who prepares it, but most blends contain cinnamon, ginger, black pepper and nutmeg. The saffron in this blend imparts a lovely yellow color. Make a large batch and keep it on hand—it's so delicious you'll want to use it as a rub for fish or meat, try it in vegetable stews or add it to roasted vegetables.
- 8 saffron threads, (see Ingredient Note)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Crush saffron and salt together in a mortar and pestle until a coarse powder forms. (Alternatively, place saffron and salt on a cutting board and use the flat side of a chef’s knife to grind into a coarse powder.) Combine with ginger, turmeric, allspice, nutmeg, cinnamon and pepper in a small bowl.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container in a cool, dark place for up to 6 months.
- Ingredient note: The dried stigma from Crocus sativus, saffron adds flavor and golden color to a variety of Middle Eastern, African and European foods. Find it in the spice section of supermarkets, gourmet shops and at tienda.com. It will keep in an airtight container for several years.
Per 1 1/2 tablespoons: 29 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 2 g fiber; 4653 mg sodium; 86 mg potassium.
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, marinade/rub
- September/October 2008