This healthful granola contains little oil or honey and has a lively orange-and-lemon flavor.
- 8 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup wheat bran
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 1/2 tablespoons freshly grated orange zest, (about 1 orange)
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest, (about 1 lemon)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup raisins or dates, (optional)
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Combine oats, bran, almonds, cinnamon, cardamom and ginger in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Heat apple juice, orange juice, lemon juice, oil, honey and orange and lemon zests in a small saucepan over medium heat until warm. Stir in vanilla. Pour liquid ingredients into dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Spread mixture on two 11-by-16-inch baking sheets. Bake until golden brown, about 35 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes. Let cool and stir in raisins (or dates, if using).
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
Per serving: 242 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 39 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 7 g fiber; 3 mg sodium; 242 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Fiber (27% daily value), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Making a satisfying, low-calorie dinner is easy with our one-...
It’s easy to make a healthy dinner recipe without dirtying...
Grab a box of your favorite whole-wheat linguine or penne...
Good news for people who eat breakfast—they tend to weigh...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
Cutlets—typically a thin slice of meat cut from the rib...
Whether you’re watching your finances or just trying to put a...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
There is no room for a roast that's anything less than...
Chocolate is such a rich and indulgent treat it almost seems...
Creamy blue cheese isn’t just for salads and dressing anymore...
Chopped, layered, pulsed or stirred, these easy dips are...
Ginger pairs well with soy sauce, chile peppers and garlic,...
Our healthy pumpkin dessert recipes are lighter twists on the...
A popular meat around the globe, lamb is raised and consumed...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more