This healthful granola contains little oil or honey and has a lively orange-and-lemon flavor.
- 8 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup wheat bran
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 1/2 tablespoons freshly grated orange zest, (about 1 orange)
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest, (about 1 lemon)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup raisins or dates, (optional)
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Combine oats, bran, almonds, cinnamon, cardamom and ginger in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Heat apple juice, orange juice, lemon juice, oil, honey and orange and lemon zests in a small saucepan over medium heat until warm. Stir in vanilla. Pour liquid ingredients into dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Spread mixture on two 11-by-16-inch baking sheets. Bake until golden brown, about 35 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes. Let cool and stir in raisins (or dates, if using).
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
Per serving: 242 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 39 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 7 g fiber; 3 mg sodium; 242 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Fiber (27% daily value), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique