This healthful granola contains little oil or honey and has a lively orange-and-lemon flavor.
- 8 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup wheat bran
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 1/2 tablespoons freshly grated orange zest, (about 1 orange)
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest, (about 1 lemon)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup raisins or dates, (optional)
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Combine oats, bran, almonds, cinnamon, cardamom and ginger in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Heat apple juice, orange juice, lemon juice, oil, honey and orange and lemon zests in a small saucepan over medium heat until warm. Stir in vanilla. Pour liquid ingredients into dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Spread mixture on two 11-by-16-inch baking sheets. Bake until golden brown, about 35 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes. Let cool and stir in raisins (or dates, if using).
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
Per serving: 242 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 39 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 7 g fiber; 3 mg sodium; 242 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Fiber (27% daily value), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique