This healthful granola contains little oil or honey and has a lively orange-and-lemon flavor.
- 8 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup wheat bran
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 1/2 tablespoons freshly grated orange zest, (about 1 orange)
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest, (about 1 lemon)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup raisins or dates, (optional)
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Combine oats, bran, almonds, cinnamon, cardamom and ginger in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Heat apple juice, orange juice, lemon juice, oil, honey and orange and lemon zests in a small saucepan over medium heat until warm. Stir in vanilla. Pour liquid ingredients into dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Spread mixture on two 11-by-16-inch baking sheets. Bake until golden brown, about 35 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes. Let cool and stir in raisins (or dates, if using).
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
Per serving: 242 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 39 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 7 g fiber; 3 mg sodium; 242 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Fiber (27% daily value), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique