Ranch Dip & Crunchy Vegetables
From EatingWell: August/September 2006
Adults and kids alike love the tanginess of this ranch-style dip. By using nonfat buttermilk and low-fat mayonnaise for the creamy base we've cut the fat substantially and eliminated the saturated fat. It only takes 15 minutes to make and keeps for 3 days so it's perfect for a healthy snack in a pinch.
- 1/2 cup nonfat buttermilk, (see Tip)
- 1/3 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh dill, or 2 teaspoons dried
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups vegetables, such as baby carrots, sliced red bell peppers, snap peas, broccoli and cauliflower florets, cucumber spears, grape tomatoes
- Whisk buttermilk, mayonnaise, dill, lemon juice, mustard, honey, garlic powder and salt in a medium bowl until combined. Serve the dip with vegetables of your choice.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the dip for up to 3 days.
- Tip: No buttermilk? You can use buttermilk powder prepared according to package directions. Or make “sour milk”: mix 1 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar to 1 cup milk.
Per serving: 61 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 2 g fiber; 224 mg sodium; 196 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (100% daily value), Vitamin A (80% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- August/September 2006