Caramel-Raisin Popcorn Balls
From EatingWell: September/October 2011
This simple recipe for caramel popcorn balls with raisins is fun to make for Halloween.
- 6 heaping cups popped corn
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup reduced-calorie light corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup finely chopped raisins
- Line a baking sheet with parchment or wax paper. Prepare a medium bowl of ice water. Put popcorn in large bowl.
- Combine brown sugar, corn syrup and butter in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly. As soon as the syrup starts to lightly bubble, cook, stirring constantly, until the sugar is melted and the mixture darkens, about 2 minutes.
- Immediately pour the mixture evenly over the popcorn; gently mix with a wooden spoon or spatula until well coated. Gently stir in raisins.
- Dip both hands in the ice water. Working quickly, press small handfuls (heaping 1/4 cup each) of the popcorn mixture firmly into 2-inch balls. (Make sure each ball gets a little bit of the raisins.) Place the balls on the prepared baking sheet. If they seem too fragile, rinse hands with cold water and press and squeeze each ball again to help keep it together.
- Let cool completely before storing. To store, individually wrap in plastic wrap and store in an airtight container.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Wrap airtight for up to 2 days, but best the day they are made.
Per ball: 78 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 7 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 16 mg sodium; 45 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 carbohydrate (other)
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, other
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- September/October 2011