Rainbow Pepper Saute
Use these colorful, versatile peppers to top crostini, on a sandwich or as a condiment on fish or chicken. Reader Maggie Poppa from Yorkshire, England, contributed the recipe.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 6 red, yellow and/or orange bell peppers, seeded and cut into 2-inch slivers
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring often, until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add peppers; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 7 to 10 minutes. Stir in oregano, salt and pepper; cover. Cook, stirring occasionally and adjusting the heat as necessary so the mixture doesn’t burn, until the peppers are very tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
Per serving: 47 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 51 mg sodium; 168 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (190% daily value), Vitamin A (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable