Rainbow Pepper Saute
Use these colorful, versatile peppers to top crostini, on a sandwich or as a condiment on fish or chicken. Reader Maggie Poppa from Yorkshire, England, contributed the recipe.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 6 red, yellow and/or orange bell peppers, seeded and cut into 2-inch slivers
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring often, until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add peppers; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 7 to 10 minutes. Stir in oregano, salt and pepper; cover. Cook, stirring occasionally and adjusting the heat as necessary so the mixture doesn’t burn, until the peppers are very tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
Per serving: 47 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 51 mg sodium; 168 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (190% daily value), Vitamin A (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique