Radish, Celery & Snap Pea Salad
From EatingWell: March/April 2011
This stunning spring salad, full of peppery radishes, sliced celery, celery leaves and crunchy snap peas, is perfect for entertaining. If you grow your own celery, you’ll have plenty of leaves to work with. But we found that most store-bought celery yielded enough leaves for this recipe if you combine the dark outer leaves with the pale yellow inner leaves at the heart. If you can’t collect enough celery leaves, make up the difference with extra parsley. The results will still be delicious.
- 1/4 cup white-wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons whole-grain mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 bunch radishes, trimmed, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 cup snap peas, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1 cup celery leaves (from about 1 large bunch) (see Note)
- 1 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup shredded Pecorino Romano cheese
- 12 leaves Boston lettuce
- Whisk vinegar, oil, sugar, mustard and salt in a large bowl. Add radishes, snap peas, celery, celery leaves, parsley and cheese; toss to coat well.
- Divide lettuce leaves among 6 salad plates; top with the salad.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 1 and hold for up to 4 hours.
- Note: If you have celery growing in your own garden, you can harvest leaves from the plants as they mature into stalks. Or, at the supermarket, look for celery heads with plenty of leaves still attached. One large bunch of celery will yield about 1 cup of leaves.
Per serving: 139 calories; 10 g fat (3 g sat, 6 g mono); 12 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 2 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 2 g fiber; 496 mg sodium; 288 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (45% daily value), Vitamin A (43% dv), Calcium (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 medium fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 2011