Radish, Celery & Snap Pea Salad
From EatingWell: March/April 2011
This stunning spring salad, full of peppery radishes, sliced celery, celery leaves and crunchy snap peas, is perfect for entertaining. If you grow your own celery, you’ll have plenty of leaves to work with. But we found that most store-bought celery yielded enough leaves for this recipe if you combine the dark outer leaves with the pale yellow inner leaves at the heart. If you can’t collect enough celery leaves, make up the difference with extra parsley. The results will still be delicious.
- 1/4 cup white-wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons whole-grain mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 bunch radishes, trimmed, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 cup snap peas, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1 cup celery leaves (from about 1 large bunch) (see Note)
- 1 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup shredded Pecorino Romano cheese
- 12 leaves Boston lettuce
- Whisk vinegar, oil, sugar, mustard and salt in a large bowl. Add radishes, snap peas, celery, celery leaves, parsley and cheese; toss to coat well.
- Divide lettuce leaves among 6 salad plates; top with the salad.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 1 and hold for up to 4 hours.
- Note: If you have celery growing in your own garden, you can harvest leaves from the plants as they mature into stalks. Or, at the supermarket, look for celery heads with plenty of leaves still attached. One large bunch of celery will yield about 1 cup of leaves.
Per serving: 139 calories; 10 g fat (3 g sat, 6 g mono); 12 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 2 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 2 g fiber; 496 mg sodium; 288 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (45% daily value), Vitamin A (43% dv), Calcium (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 medium fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 2011