Rack of Lamb with a Cilantro-Mustard Seed Crust
From EatingWell: January/February 1998
A cozy dinner for two, cooked side by side, is truly a labor of love. Naturally, the meal needs to be special - a little sophisticated, a little sexy, a bit of a splurge.
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 1-pound rack of lamb, trimmed of fat
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- New Mexico Chile Sauce, (recipe follows), heated
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Combine cilantro, mustard, mustard seeds and garlic in a small bowl.
- Season lamb with salt and pepper. Brush oil evenly over a small cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet. Heat skillet over medium-high heat. Add lamb, meat-side down, and cook until browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and spread mustard mixture over browned side. Transfer skillet to oven and roast lamb for 15 to 20 minutes, or until an instant-read thermometer registers 140°F (rare) or until lamb reaches desired doneness.
- Transfer lamb to a cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes. Carve rack between the ribs. Spoon some New Mexico Chile Sauce onto 2 plates and top with lamb. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 383 calories; 17 g fat (4 g sat, 8 g mono); 94 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 36 g protein; 6 g fiber; 961 mg sodium; 1053 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 3 1/2 vegetable, 4 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- January/February 1998