Quinoa Veggie Burger
From EatingWell: March/April 2013
This quinoa veggie burger recipe is a meat-lover’s burger: toasted pecans, mushrooms, Cheddar cheese, fresh herbs and red quinoa pack this vegetarian burger full of delicious flavor. Red quinoa, which you can generally find in stores where white quinoa is sold, gives the quinoa veggie burgers the perfect color. If you can only find white quinoa, that’s fine too. These quinoa veggie burger patties hold together well for freezing, making for a quick and easy meal. Defrost overnight in the refrigerator before cooking. Serve with your favorite burger garnishes. (Adapted from “Quinoa Revolution” by Patricia Green and Carolyn Hemming; Pintail Books, 2012.)
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup red quinoa
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 cups finely chopped cremini or white button mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 large egg
- 2/3 cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup whole pecans, toasted and finely chopped (see Tip)
- 1/3 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 8 small whole-wheat burger buns, toasted if desired
- Combine water and quinoa in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork and set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a baking sheet or line with parchment paper.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until starting to soften, about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms, garlic, marjoram and oregano; cook, stirring, until the mushrooms are tender, about 5 minutes. Let cool for about 5 minutes.
- Beat egg in a medium bowl. Add the quinoa, mushroom mixture, cheese, pecans, oats and soy sauce; stir to combine. Scoop scant 1/2-cup portions of the mixture onto the baking sheet and shape into 8 patties, about 3 inches wide, leaving about 1 inch of space between each patty. (The mixture will be crumbly; patting it into burgers on the baking sheet makes it easier to work with. The burgers hold together very well once baked.)
- Bake the burgers until crispy, 28 to 30 minutes. Serve on buns with your favorite garnishes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Individually wrap and freeze cooked burgers for up to 3 months. Defrost overnight in the refrigerator. Reheat in a skillet with a little oil.
- For the best flavor, toast nuts before adding to recipes. Spread whole nuts on a baking sheet and bake at 350°F, stirring once, until fragrant, 7 to 9 minutes. For chopped nuts, place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per serving (with bun): 280 calories; 12 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 29 mg cholesterol; 35 g carbohydrates; 4 g added sugars; 11 g protein; 6 g fiber; 320 mg sodium; 353 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Magnesium (19% daily value), Calcium (16% dv), Zinc (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 medium fat meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Ease of Preparation
- March/April 2013