Quinoa Pilaf with Seared Scallops
From EatingWell: January/February 2014
Make whole grains the center of your dinner plate with this citrus-studded quinoa pilaf recipe topped with sweet seared sea scallops. Be sure to buy â€śdryâ€ť sea scallops (scallops that have not been treated with sodium tripolyphosphate, or STP). Scallops treated with STP (â€śwetâ€ť scallops) are higher in sodium, have a mushy texture and do not brown properly.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 scallions, sliced, greens and whites separated
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 cup water
- 2 medium blood oranges or navel oranges
- 1/4 cup toasted sliced almonds (see Tip), divided
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound dry sea scallops
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add scallion whites; cook, stirring, until beginning to brown, about 1 minute. Add quinoa; cook, stirring until toasted and fragrant, about 1 minute more. Add water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Let stand, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slice ends off oranges. With a sharp knife, remove the peel and white pith; discard. Working over a large bowl, cut the orange segments from their surrounding membranes. Squeeze juice from the membranes into the bowl before discarding them, if desired. Add the scallion greens, almonds, cilantro, 1/2 teaspoon cumin, 1/4 teaspoon coriander and salt to the bowl; gently stir to combine.
- Pat scallops dry and sprinkle both sides with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon cumin and 1/4 teaspoon coriander. Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a large cast-iron or nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the scallops and cook until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes per side. (To prevent overcooking, transfer the scallops to a plate as soon as they are done.)
- Add the quinoa to the bowl with the orange mixture and gently stir to combine. Serve the scallops over the warm quinoa salad.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: For the best flavor, toast chopped nuts or seeds: Heat a dry skillet over medium-low heat. Add nuts or seeds and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per serving: 368 calories; 13 g fat (2 g sat, 8 g mono); 27 mg cholesterol; 41 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 9 g total sugars; 22 g protein; 6 g fiber; 597 mg sodium; 668 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (62% daily value), Magnesium (33% dv), Folate (32% dv), (B12 27% dv), Potassium (19% dv), Iron & Zinc (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch , 1/2 fruit, 2 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you donâ€™t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You wonâ€™t waste half a dayâ€™s worthâ€”or moreâ€”of calories with...
Celebrate summerâ€™s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides donâ€™t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldnâ€™t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether youâ€™re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- January/February 2014
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)