Quinoa Peanut Soup (Sopa de Mani)
From EatingWell: March/April 2013
This spicy vegetable, quinoa and peanut soup recipe is a modern take on a traditional Bolivian soup recipe called Sopa de Mani. Serve this healthy quinoa soup recipe as a starter or make it a heartier meal by adding diced cooked chicken or turkey breast to the soup.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 cup diced potatoes
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 4 cups vegetable broth or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup natural peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce, such as Tabasco
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in onion and cook, stirring, until softened, 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Stir in carrots, potatoes and quinoa, then add broth and water. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to maintain a simmer, cover and cook until the quinoa is cooked and the vegetables are tender, about 18 minutes. Stir in red pepper and cook, stirring, for about 3 minutes more. Stir in peanut butter until it is combined into the broth. Remove from heat. Stir in parsley, hot sauce and pepper.
Per serving: 143 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 3 g fiber; 365 mg sodium; 268 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (67% daily value), Vitamin C (27% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 2013