Quinoa Peanut Soup (Sopa de Mani)
From EatingWell: March/April 2013
This spicy vegetable, quinoa and peanut soup recipe is a modern take on a traditional Bolivian soup recipe called Sopa de Mani. Serve this healthy quinoa soup recipe as a starter or make it a heartier meal by adding diced cooked chicken or turkey breast to the soup.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 cup diced potatoes
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 4 cups vegetable broth or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup natural peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce, such as Tabasco
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in onion and cook, stirring, until softened, 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Stir in carrots, potatoes and quinoa, then add broth and water. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to maintain a simmer, cover and cook until the quinoa is cooked and the vegetables are tender, about 18 minutes. Stir in red pepper and cook, stirring, for about 3 minutes more. Stir in peanut butter until it is combined into the broth. Remove from heat. Stir in parsley, hot sauce and pepper.
Per serving: 143 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 3 g fiber; 365 mg sodium; 268 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (67% daily value), Vitamin C (27% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- March/April 2013