Quinoa Peanut Soup (Sopa de Mani)
From EatingWell: March/April 2013
This spicy vegetable, quinoa and peanut soup recipe is a modern take on a traditional Bolivian soup recipe called Sopa de Mani. Serve this healthy quinoa soup recipe as a starter or make it a heartier meal by adding diced cooked chicken or turkey breast to the soup.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 cup diced potatoes
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 4 cups vegetable broth or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup natural peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce, such as Tabasco
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in onion and cook, stirring, until softened, 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Stir in carrots, potatoes and quinoa, then add broth and water. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to maintain a simmer, cover and cook until the quinoa is cooked and the vegetables are tender, about 18 minutes. Stir in red pepper and cook, stirring, for about 3 minutes more. Stir in peanut butter until it is combined into the broth. Remove from heat. Stir in parsley, hot sauce and pepper.
Per serving: 143 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 3 g fiber; 365 mg sodium; 268 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (67% daily value), Vitamin C (27% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 2013