Quick Tomato Soup
From EatingWell: The Simple Art of EatingWell
This is a great “pantry soup”—that is, it comes together in minutes from ingredients that you can keep on hand all the time.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried herbs, such as thyme, oregano, rosemary or basil
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
- 2 28-ounce cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 cups nonfat or low-fat milk
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic, herbs and crushed red pepper (if using); cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add tomatoes, water and sugar. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in milk and heat through, about 1 minute.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Per serving: 142 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 5 g fiber; 393 mg sodium; 920 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (45% daily value), Vitamin A (35% dv), Potassium (26% dv), Calcium & Iron (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 nonfat milk, 3 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Preparation/ Technique
- The Simple Art of EatingWell
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)