Quick Tomato Soup
From EatingWell: The Simple Art of EatingWell
This is a great “pantry soup”—that is, it comes together in minutes from ingredients that you can keep on hand all the time.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried herbs, such as thyme, oregano, rosemary or basil
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
- 2 28-ounce cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 cups nonfat or low-fat milk
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic, herbs and crushed red pepper (if using); cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add tomatoes, water and sugar. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in milk and heat through, about 1 minute.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Per serving: 142 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 5 g fiber; 393 mg sodium; 920 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (45% daily value), Vitamin A (35% dv), Potassium (26% dv), Calcium & Iron (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 nonfat milk, 3 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- The Simple Art of EatingWell