Quick Tomato Sauce
With cans of tomatoes, good olive oil and garlic in the pantry, you can always make a simple, superb tomato sauce. You can vary this basic sauce by finishing it with different herbs, such as fresh basil, marjoram, parsley or thyme.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 14-ounce cans diced tomatoes, (not drained)
- Pinch of salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large heavy saucepan over medium-low heat until warm. Add garlic and crushed red pepper; cook, stirring, until softened and fragrant but not colored, 30 to 60 seconds. Add tomatoes and mash with a potato masher. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium and cook, uncovered, stirring and mashing occasionally, until thickened, 20 to 25 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Per 1/4 cup: 34 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 5 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 128 mg sodium; 6 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1 vegetable
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- 8 or more
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)