Quick Thai Chicken & Vegetable Curry
Curry quick enough for a weeknight supper - especially if you use precut cauliflower and baby spinach.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into 1- to 2-inch-long julienne strips
- 1 medium onion, halved and sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1-2 teaspoons red curry paste, to taste (see Ingredient note)
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup “lite” coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce, or reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups cauliflower florets
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Lime wedges
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add bell pepper and onion; cook, stirring often, until beginning to soften, about 4 minutes. Add garlic, ginger and curry paste; stir to mix. Add chicken and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Stir in broth, coconut milk, fish sauce (or soy sauce) and brown sugar; bring to a simmer. Add cauliflower, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through and the cauliflower is tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in spinach and lime juice; cook just until spinach has wilted. Serve immediately, with lime wedges. Vegetarian variation: Substitute 1 pound extra-firm tofu (drained) for the chicken and vegetable broth for chicken broth. Per serving: 240 calories; 14 g fat (4 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 16 g carbohydrate; 16 g protein; 4 g fiber; 376 mg sodium. Nutrition bonus: 88 mg vitamin c (150% dv), 30% dv vitamin a, 3 mg iron (20% dv), 16% dv fiber, 161 mg calcium (15% dv).
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerator for up to 2 days.
- Ingredient Note: A blend of chile peppers, garlic, lemongrass and galanga (a rhizome with a flavor similar to ginger), commercial Asian curry paste is a convenient way to add heat and complexity to a recipe. Look for it in small jars or cans in the Asian section of the store. Brands differ in spiciness so use sparingly. Once opened, it will keep in the refrigerator for up to 1 year.
Per serving: 252 calories; 8 g fat (4 g sat, 1 g mono); 67 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 31 g protein; 3 g fiber; 357 mg sodium; 576 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: 89 mg vitamin c (150% dv), 30% dv vitamin a, 576 mg potassium (29% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 4 very lean protein, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)