Quick Risotto with Shrimp, Corn & Edamame
From EatingWell: September/October 2013
In this healthy, quick risotto recipe, we use instant brown rice instead of arborio rice, and frozen corn and edamame to speed up the cooking time and add fiber. To get the creamy risotto texture without slow cooking, we stir in cream cheese and Parmesan just at the end of cooking.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 bunch scallions, sliced, white and green parts separated
- 2 cups instant brown rice
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 pound peeled and deveined raw shrimp (see Tip)
- 1 cup frozen shelled edamame
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese (Neufchâtel), cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add scallion whites and rice; cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add wine and cook on medium-high until most of it is evaporated, 2 minutes. Add broth; return to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Place shrimp on the rice. Return to a simmer. Cover and cook until the shrimp are cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Stir in edamame, corn and cream cheese until the cream cheese is incorporated. Simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid is evaporated, 4 to 5 minutes more. Remove from heat; stir in Parmesan and pepper. Top with scallion greens.
Tips & Notes
- For sustainable shrimp, look for shrimp that’s certified by an agency like the Marine Stewardship Council. If you can’t find it, choose wild-caught shrimp from North America—it’s more likely to be sustainably caught.
Per serving: 525 calories; 17 g fat (6 g sat, 5 g mono); 173 mg cholesterol; 49 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 32 g protein; 5 g fiber; 716 mg sodium; 672 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (37% daily value), Magnesium (34% dv), Calcium (26% dv), Zinc (23% dv), Potassium (19% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 2013