Quick Risotto with Shrimp, Corn & Edamame
From EatingWell: September/October 2013
In this healthy, quick risotto recipe, we use instant brown rice instead of arborio rice, and frozen corn and edamame to speed up the cooking time and add fiber. To get the creamy risotto texture without slow cooking, we stir in cream cheese and Parmesan just at the end of cooking.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 bunch scallions, sliced, white and green parts separated
- 2 cups instant brown rice
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 pound peeled and deveined raw shrimp (see Tip)
- 1 cup frozen shelled edamame
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese (Neufchâtel), cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add scallion whites and rice; cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add wine and cook on medium-high until most of it is evaporated, 2 minutes. Add broth; return to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Place shrimp on the rice. Return to a simmer. Cover and cook until the shrimp are cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Stir in edamame, corn and cream cheese until the cream cheese is incorporated. Simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid is evaporated, 4 to 5 minutes more. Remove from heat; stir in Parmesan and pepper. Top with scallion greens.
Tips & Notes
- For sustainable shrimp, look for shrimp that’s certified by an agency like the Marine Stewardship Council. If you can’t find it, choose wild-caught shrimp from North America—it’s more likely to be sustainably caught.
Per serving: 525 calories; 17 g fat (6 g sat, 5 g mono); 173 mg cholesterol; 49 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 32 g protein; 5 g fiber; 716 mg sodium; 672 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (37% daily value), Magnesium (34% dv), Calcium (26% dv), Zinc (23% dv), Potassium (19% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- September/October 2013