Quick Risotto with Shrimp, Corn & Edamame
From EatingWell: September/October 2013
In this healthy, quick risotto recipe, we use instant brown rice instead of arborio rice, and frozen corn and edamame to speed up the cooking time and add fiber. To get the creamy risotto texture without slow cooking, we stir in cream cheese and Parmesan just at the end of cooking.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 bunch scallions, sliced, white and green parts separated
- 2 cups instant brown rice
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 pound peeled and deveined raw shrimp (see Tip)
- 1 cup frozen shelled edamame
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese (Neufchâtel), cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add scallion whites and rice; cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add wine and cook on medium-high until most of it is evaporated, 2 minutes. Add broth; return to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Place shrimp on the rice. Return to a simmer. Cover and cook until the shrimp are cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Stir in edamame, corn and cream cheese until the cream cheese is incorporated. Simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid is evaporated, 4 to 5 minutes more. Remove from heat; stir in Parmesan and pepper. Top with scallion greens.
Tips & Notes
- For sustainable shrimp, look for shrimp that’s certified by an agency like the Marine Stewardship Council. If you can’t find it, choose wild-caught shrimp from North America—it’s more likely to be sustainably caught.
Per serving: 525 calories; 17 g fat (6 g sat, 5 g mono); 173 mg cholesterol; 49 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 32 g protein; 5 g fiber; 716 mg sodium; 672 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (37% daily value), Magnesium (34% dv), Calcium (26% dv), Zinc (23% dv), Potassium (19% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 2013