Quick Risotto with Shrimp, Corn & Edamame
From EatingWell: September/October 2013
In this healthy, quick risotto recipe, we use instant brown rice instead of arborio rice, and frozen corn and edamame to speed up the cooking time and add fiber. To get the creamy risotto texture without slow cooking, we stir in cream cheese and Parmesan just at the end of cooking.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 bunch scallions, sliced, white and green parts separated
- 2 cups instant brown rice
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 pound peeled and deveined raw shrimp (see Tip)
- 1 cup frozen shelled edamame
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese (Neufchâtel), cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add scallion whites and rice; cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add wine and cook on medium-high until most of it is evaporated, 2 minutes. Add broth; return to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Place shrimp on the rice. Return to a simmer. Cover and cook until the shrimp are cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Stir in edamame, corn and cream cheese until the cream cheese is incorporated. Simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid is evaporated, 4 to 5 minutes more. Remove from heat; stir in Parmesan and pepper. Top with scallion greens.
Tips & Notes
- For sustainable shrimp, look for shrimp that’s certified by an agency like the Marine Stewardship Council. If you can’t find it, choose wild-caught shrimp from North America—it’s more likely to be sustainably caught.
Per serving: 525 calories; 17 g fat (6 g sat, 5 g mono); 173 mg cholesterol; 49 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 32 g protein; 5 g fiber; 716 mg sodium; 672 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (37% daily value), Magnesium (34% dv), Calcium (26% dv), Zinc (23% dv), Potassium (19% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 2013